Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Volta Region

This weekend was an absolute blast. And I start with this disclaimer:


Hi Mom,
So I know that before I left, the travel clinic lady gave a huge lecture on not touching any mammals and not going in any fresh water. Rabies and parasites. I have not forgotten. This trip was an EAP organized trip. It was part of our program/orientation. Our EAP coordinator has a very strong policy against giving any of her participants rabies or parasites. They go to these places every year. In that, I promise--neigh, double promise--that the adventure I am about to describe did not give me rabies or parasites. If you are still worried, I can give you the coordinator’s email address. I love you!


This weekend we headed to the Volta region. The first thing I noticed about this region of Ghana was that every town had three speed bumps in a row. These sets of three were every 50 feet. It was a fun four hour drive. 

Our first stop was the monkey sanctuary. It was everything I wanted it to be! Monkeys everywhere! And the stereotypes are true. They love bananas. They go nuts for bananas. To the point that if you hold a banana they crawl all over you and eat it out of your hand and you just about die because it is simultaneously the most frightening and adorable thing you have ever done. It was such a giggle fest. Their little hands and feet were so soft and they would just chill on your arm and go to town on the banana. I’ve never seen anything quite as adorable as teeny tiny little hands with their teeny tiny little opposable thumbs. I feel like Kylee would have really liked this. 


Disclaimer two- As I walked off the bus my camera died. The few photos I have are a result of stealing my roommates battery. To those I promised monkey pictures, I sincerely apologize.


Our next stop was the biggest waterfall in West Africa. It started with a hike through the rain forest, which I am obviously a huge sucker for. It ended with a beautiful clearing and the most breath taking water fall. Everything was just the most vivid green too, being constantly fed by the mist. So different than the dust covered plants in Accra. We all jumped right in and got as close to the waterfall as we could. The strength of that thing though! We joked that it simultaneously soaked and dried you. The amount of water beating down was overpowering, and the wind coming off it was deafening. We splashed, we laughed, and I had one of those moments where I was infinitely glad to not be in Berkeley sitting through February weather and feeling the impending doom of midterms. Sorry to rub it in guys. 

Photo courtesy of roommate. 
Hair courtesy of bus ride. 
Monkey slobber on my hand. 
SO CUTE.




I want to move here.

No comments:

Post a Comment