Wednesday, March 28, 2012

This Weekend's Adventure? Hospitals!

Have you ever been studying for a test and thought to yourself "If only I could somehow get sick and just miss this thing"? I was studying for a test last Thursday and not thinking that for once, because I was actually fairly prepared. So naturally that's when illness suddenly struck.

The world was spinning, Death punched at my stomach, the days meals landed in places that weren't my belly.

My program coordinator was at my dorm by 7 the following morning. This perk is probably one of the most fantastic features of EAP. They really know how to take care of their kids. None of that sick and alone and stranded in a third world country stuff here. She drove me to a brand new international hospital where I was tested for malaria and all that jazz.

I was home by noon, which is pretty good for Ghana time. It wasn't malaria but it was a pretty thorough gastro-intestinal infection.

Feeling very hostile toward Ghanian food, I took a taxi to the grocery store (it's easily in walking distance, though not when you're being debilitated by stomach pain) and bought ALL the food. Not really, but I felt really dramatic spending like 30 whole dollars when that amount can feed you for a week and a half if you eat Ghanian food. It was also funny going home and looking at what I actually bought. Candy, a sprite, and a frozen chocolate milk were among the prominently nonsensical, albeit delicious, items.

Anyway, I'm doing barrels full of better now. Thanks for all the well wishes! I will do my best to avoid anymore hospital trips while here, even if that means pb&j's for the next 2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment