Friday, April 13, 2012

Last Night

There was an incident.

So we drink all our water out of sachets here. It's these small bags that hold the equivalent to your average water bottle. You bite the corner off the plastic and suck the water out.

They aren't the most convenient thing because you can't really set them down without water going everywhere. In theory, you can balance them, but the slightest disturbance sends them toppling. And set them down wrong and you have water spraying everywhere.

As such, I have learned to gulp those guys down pretty quickly.

I was happily trying to drink an entire bag's worth of water in one or two gulps when my throat felt kind of funny. In that instant my brain had the thought of, hey, could that be the plastic from the corner of my bag?

Apparently my body feels very strongly about swallowing plastic, and before I could think twice about it, all the water that was in my belly and in my mouth was on my feet. We're talking the most violent gag reflex I've ever experienced. My roommate looked over just in time to see a river of water not gently tickle or spray, but drop with great haste and intensity, in an unreal quantity, from my mouth.

It was bizarre to say the least. We proceeded to laugh until we cried for a good 10 minutes. Of course explaining the situation once we calmed down didn't really do anything to justify it. It was honestly the strangest thing. In that moment I had absolutely no control. I had one little thought and all the sudden my body had a mind of its own and I was just along for the ride.

That's the thing about Ghana. Just when you get comfortable, it comes along and slaps you in the face. At least it has an excellent sense of humor about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment