Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Pacific Northwest Conquered for Under $34 a Day


Between the several road trips I've been on the last few weeks and my upcoming Europe trip I've had many friends and family ask 1) am I going to do a blog so they can follow along and 2) how am I doing all of this when I have been in college for the last five and half years and my bank account has the lack of funds to prove it. In response to these two questions, I'll be recording my travels on the blog I used while studying abroad a few years back, and I will share my travel tips along the way! Follow along if you so desire!

Sooo, where to start. I graduated with my master's degree a semester early. I am gainfully employed but not until May. As such, I have a few months to kill. No complaints here, that's for sure. I'm not entirely sure how this road trip happened. Mostly an aligning of the stars I guess. These friends and I had talked about doing this road trip or some variation of it since we were little baby freshmen sitting in our dorms, and this winter break we just finally pulled the trigger! It was very poorly planned. Between finals, weddings, Christmas, New Years, family, etc we mostly just hopped in the car January 2nd and made it up as we went. We started near Sacramento, California and explored the Northern California coast, the Oregon Coast, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver (Canada... not Washington).

It was incredible. We saw sights so beautiful and immense they defy description and could not be fully captured on camera. We met wonderful people, saw wonderful friends, and were spoiled by generosity and kindness. We laughed, we got lost (and I found out how much navigating stresses me out... sorry guys!), we ate delicious food, and we all fell pretty hard for the Pacific Northwest.

Budget/Trip Breakdown:

Transportation: $93.77

Food: $99.19

Accommodations: $36

Entertainment: $6.50 (apparently we only needed each other and sightseeing to be entertained)

Total Cost: $235.46/person

Miles: 2,004

Scroll down or click for posts on how we did this on the cheap as well as a breakdown of each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment