Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Athens

Athens, Athens, Athens. So great, so confusing.

Clayton and I went through Athens very quickly. We went to the National Archaeological Museum and the Acropolis Museum. We also checked out the National Gardens, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and the Acropolis.

Other noteworthy events include- the scariest hostel on earth and attending church in a wonderful teeny tiny branch.

So some quick thoughts on everything. Athens was definitely different than I was expecting. Parts of it looked closer to parts of cities I saw in Ghana than anything else. Where the alleyways in Copenhagen were charming beyond belief, the alleyways in Athens made you kind of nervous. Also you stepped on a lot of trash. Public transportation in the city was super easy to figure out, though, and super cheap! I loved that. Yelp is not a thing in Greece. That made finding food very difficult. There were tons of bakeries, but we never could find even one grocery store. We were super curious as to where people worked. Athens was packed with people and packed with apartments.

I loved the Archaeological Museum. All of the ancient Greek statues were incredible. Their art was so ahead of it's time, I almost feel embarrassed for the rest of the world. This museum was also incredibly well curated. Every room was a delight! The Acropolis museum was pretty eh. Not a ton to see, but we did learn some interesting things. The National Gardens were incredibly beautiful and all the ancient sites were AMAZING. All my 6th grade dreams came true. (I'm not the only one who had a super intense module on ancient Greece in the 6th grade, right?)

Clayton enjoying art.

Who's a pretty museum?

Just me and my bird gals.

This was a tombstone! A tombstone!
I want to be buried ancient Greek style.

Statues on statues on thousands of years old.

More statues. Still thousands of years old.

All these vases made me think of Hercules... Like the Disney movie. Lolz.

The alley, for your comparison.

We almost impulse bought a puppy.
Don't worry mom, we didn't go through with it.

National gardens are pretty!

This was a square in the garden where all these old Greek men were arguing and playing cards. It was too perfect. 

Ruins.

The prettiest day I've had since getting to Europe!

Our view from lunch! That's the Acropolis up there!

We're doing just fine on the food front.

The real Greek Theater! #GoBears

This was the saddest thing that happened in Athens.
Mayonnaise makes me throw up.
DO YOU SEE HOW MUCH MAYO IS ON MY SANDWICH?!

Construction on the temple dedicated to the Goddess of health.
#GoPublicHealth

An ancient cat.

Me + Ruins.

I think this is the temple of Athena.

Athena is a real bad A. She beat Poseidon in a battle for the city.

More ruins.

More me + ruins.

Cool pano of a cool city with a cool Parthenon.

Athens is huuuuuuge.

Uhhh this picture is being squished all weird.
But yeah, Athens.

The dog that had no fear.

Awwwww. Friendship!

So Greek yogurt in Greece is kind of unreal.

The End!!

No comments:

Post a Comment